Thursday, January 14, 2010

My predictions for Film Photography for the next 10 years

I have been reading a lot of predictions for the next decade. Some of them were quite good, others more of a goof. So I decided to write my own on the future of Film Photography, look back on it on Dec 31, 2020, and see how I did. And without further ado, here they are!
  1. Kodak, Ilford and Fuji, as well as others, will continue to refine their current film formulations, but will probably drop some lines to consolidate their offerings. At the same time we will see other companies spring up and start making their own film for sale, such as the new-old Polaroid.
  2. Slides and Slide Project will become Retro-Cool. People look for opportunities to do retro. Nothing is as retro as slide projection! Look for this coming to a party soon!
  3. Small boutique companies will spring up making new film cameras. Many of us have bought a Holga, but may yearn for something a bit, well, perhaps... How can I say this without getting a lot of angry mail? Well, something with better image quality! There, I said it.
  4. Development chemical choices will diminish. Despite losing a lot of different film lines over the last 10 years, we still have a bunch of developers to choose from. I think we will see Kodak and others cancel a few offerings. Just so long as I can still get HC-110, or make my own D-23, I will be OK.
  5. Both Canon and Nikon will make a fresh run of mid-level 35mm film cameras. It will be a limited run, but the Elan 7 is still a great camera. Supplies of new Elan 7s are almost all dried up, if you can find one at all. I bought a new one 3 years ago and consider myself lucky to get it.
So there you have it, my Film Photography predictions for the next 10 years!

1 comment:

Revie Hapsari said...

I really appreciate the positive lift I get from your blog. Have a blessed and grace-full day! Fakta Unik Tentang Hujan really